- Whole chicken cut into pieces
- 4 cups of water
- Table salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Seasoning salt
- 1 cup flour
- Shortening or vegetable oil
- Soak chicken in salt water solution in the fridge for 2 hours
- Mix buttermilk, eggs, and 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- Mix flour, 2 teaspoons seasoning salt, cornmeal, oregano, and salt in a bag
- Dip chicken in wet mix, then place in dry bag and shake to coat
- Place pieces on a wire rack and preheat your shortening or oil.
- Heat a shallow layer of oil or shortening to 360 F in a skillet.
- Place the chicken in the pan, trying not to crowd the pieces.Cover for the first five minutes.
- When golden brown, turn. Cover for the next five minutes.
- Remove cover and cook uncovered, turning occasionally, as needed for a total of an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Watch carefully, and don’t allow it to get too dark.
- If it’s frying too fast, reduce heat slightly. You want to cover the chicken in the beginning to cook the inside, and uncover