Sous Vide Steak, Potatoes and Baby Carrots
Sous vide cooking is a technique that has been around for decades but has recently gained popularity among home cooks and professional chefs alike. The technique involves sealing food in a plastic bag and cooking it in a water bath at a precise, low temperature. This method allows the food to cook evenly and retain its moisture, resulting in perfectly cooked and flavorful dishes.
One of the most popular dishes to make with sous vide is steak. You can achieve the perfect doneness by cooking steak at a precise temperature, whether you prefer your steak rare, medium-rare, or well-done. The process is also very simple and straightforward, making it easy for even novice cooks to achieve restaurant-quality results.
Click on any of the photos below for links to purchase
The key to cooking a perfect sous vide steak is to start with a high-quality cut of meat. Ribeye, strip, and filet are all great options, as they have the right amount of marbling to ensure that the steak is juicy and flavorful. Once you have your steak, season it generously with salt and pepper, and add any additional aromatics like garlic and thyme to the bag before sealing it.
The next step is to set the temperature of your sous vide water bath to your desired doneness. For medium-rare, set the temperature to 131°F (55°C), for medium, set it to 140°F (60°C), and for medium-well, set it to 150°F (65°C). The steak will take about 1 hour to cook for a 1-inch thick steak, or 2 hours for a 2-inch thick steak.
Once the steak is cooked, please remove it from the bag and pat it dry with paper towels. This step is crucial, as it will help the steak form a crust when searing it in a skillet. Heat a skillet over high heat and add butter to it. Once the butter is melted and foamy, add the steak to the skillet and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side or until a crust forms. This step will give the steak a nice char and add a depth of flavour.
Finally, remove the steak from the skillet and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Resting time is essential,
Handy Tools Tools For Sous Vide Cooking
Sous Vide Steak Recipe
- 2 (8 oz) steak of your choice (ribeye, strip, or filet)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat your sous vide water bath to your desired doneness. For medium-rare, set the temperature to 131°F (55°C), for medium, set it to 140°F (60°C), and for medium-well, set it to 150°F (65°C).
- Season your steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the steak in a vacuum seal bag, along with the garlic and thyme.
- Vacuum seal the bag and place it in the preheated water bath.
- Cook for 1 hour for a 1-inch thick steak, or 2 hours for a 2-inch thick steak.
- Remove the steak from the bag and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat a skillet over high heat and add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted and foamy, add the steak to the skillet and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until a crust forms.
- Remove the steak from the skillet and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.